Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Sunrise (Murnau, 1927)

Very perceptive comments from one and all this afternoon.

As you may have guessed, I'm very fond of silent movies, even though I often find them ridiculously sentimental or overacted. But I also find an immense sincerity in the emotions they express, and frequent genius in the use of camera and editing that they display; the technical inventiveness of these early movies--despite the lack of dialogue or realism--always teaches me more about how to use images on film.

More thoughts later. For the time being, here's the list of titles on loan (and who I loaned them to):

Sunrise: Wandile
Cabinet of Dr Caligari: Swapnil
Our Hospitality/Sherlock Jr: Chapa
Metropolis: Jean
Potemkin: Zane and Jahmile

Please try to coordinate with each other so that you can view at least one of last four supplementary titles; viewing in a group is a great way to exchange ideas and to start thinking critically about what you're seeing.

Remember that your first entry of no less than 750 words is due by noon, Monday the 18th, just before class. You are free to try out any style or method of analysis you like, just be sure to say something about one of the supplemental films. Make your prose as clear and error-free as possible; these posts will be visible to the entire class for their comment and discussion, as well.

If you have any questions, just let me know, either by email, or you can call my 24-hour number (949-429-4095, hold the line until you hear the chimes, as it's trying to page me if I'm awake.)

Long live Kino!


No comments: