Saturday, September 20, 2008

Welles' Greatness

Touch of Evil

There is much to learn from this film. I was really taken by so many things in which I will further explain:

1) The beginning scene was absolutely amazing, even for a modern film. It sets up the film very clearly and also blows your mind. The scene seems to go on FOREVER and goes behind buildings, focuses on different characters, and shows so much of the city. I was shocked straight from the beginning. How did Welles film this outstanding first scene??? In addition to the first scene, I enjoyed the great point of views Welles took during conversations especially. For example, one dialogue between Quinlan and Menzies contained around 5 or 6 different angles and point of views. This really makes watching and listening to long discussions SO much more personal and enjoyable. I also liked how Quinlan is filmed from such a low angle, making him look so much more powerful and large.
2) The scenery and backgrounds used were very impressive. Compared to Sunrise, which we watched last week, this movie had large spanning scenery. The focus is so much more improved from Sunrise. They could film two people and a very distant hillside in a desert very clearly. I especially liked seeing the driving scenes. Although I suspect they used a green screen, I thought the driving scenes were very entertaining. I found it very humorous though, when Vargas and Menzies were driving VERY fast through the intersections of the city (a bit too fast). But, what made these driving scenes even better was showing the car driving from an outside POV too, such as an overhead angle.
3) I found that the life excluding the characters were very realistic and believable. Such as when the main characters are walking around the city and we see random city cars and pedestrians going about their own lives. I enjoyed this realistic city life because it makes me viewing the film think about how this story contains real people in a real city, not just a tall tale where everything is connected to the characters. Furthermore, I thought Welles did a great job at utilizing overlap stories and scenarios. It wasn’t scene for scene, rather, he often created a story within a scene and a transition through a different character. I feel that I cannot explain this very well, so I will provide an example. One example of this is when Vargas exits the suspect’s house and enters a building where he speaks with a blind woman. During their discussion, Grandi is seen outside walking and the focus now becomes on Grande and him entering the suspect’s house. This was one of my favorite transitions.
4) The scene where Vargas enters the suspect’s bathroom and knocks over an empty box immediately got my attention. I thought, “Why did Welles create this random scene where Vargas knocks over an empty box, pointlessly?” Well, soon we find out, when Quinlan attempts to frame the innocent suspect. Although I found this scene to be a bit “cheesy”, I believe the important thing to show, was that Vargas is the innocent, honest detective, and Quinlan is the corrupt, unjust cop. Maybe I am missing the greatness of a classic aspect of film noir.
5) Overall, I was impressed with the story. I thought it was well thought out. Everything, including Quinlan’s drinking problem (in which he fatefully begins drinking again after a long sober period, in which candy bars are his alternative), Menzies (his faithful partner, who in the end betrays him for justice), and the corrupt plan of Quinlan (which was not only one simple plan; it included framing Vargas’ wife and betraying Grandi). I interpreted that Welles was messaging to the viewers how cops, the symbol of justice, cannot be trusted at times. That with power and trust, people can and will misuse it. Even the most celebrated and famed justice fighters can actually be evil minded, selfish crooks.

After watching two of Welles’ films, I am impressed with his talent. Although I am most impressed with Casablanca (out of all the films we have watched), Citizen Kane and Touch of Evil are excellent. Citizen Kane held messages and viewpoints on life (such as how the “American Dream”, which aims for money and other materialistic things, cannot bring true happiness in life) that I truly find interest in and hold similar thoughts/opinions to. I have learned through Welles’ works, that not only good filming and editing are important. A good, well-thought out story and a strong message/theme are just as important factors into making a film regarded as a classic.


-George

1 comment:

敬蓮 said...

1. Welles always tried to snare the viewer with a visual effect...which I find a very effective means of persuasion!

2. What do you mean by "spanning"? The sense of vastness? Or the wide angle of the camera lens in those shots?

3. Believability (pardon the word) would appear to be essential in "thrillers"...what other techniques apart from the one you've indicated does Welles use to keep up that effect?

4. Everything the director does (we must assume) is for *some* purpose. Quinlan is clearly the center of the film, so every scene he's in should add some aspect to our understanding of him (we hope).

5. What other moral/ethical issues do you think the film raises, and why?