Amarcord
This film is a culmination of the director’s (Fellini) life and memories, hence the title “I Remember”. It reflects his life and Italian society during the 1930’s. The film has a narrator, a scholarly lawyer, who creates the feeling of a dream, memory, and story. When watching this film, I felt like the narrator was my grandpa telling me about “when I was your age” stories. The joyful narrator makes me feel like I am sitting on his lap in excitement. There is no main character to focus on, but rather many different characters that either symbolize his life, family, reflections, and the town he lived in (such as the loud/angry father, the adolescent boy struggling with the church and his young desires, or people affected by Mussolini). As the narrator presents memories about different people and situations, we get a beautiful stroll on Fellini’s memory lane. It is important to mention that the music is very romantic and festive, crucial to setting the mood we get in the film.
This film touched me in a different way from other films because I felt like I could make a strong emotional connection with Fellini. The camera almost acts as his eyes and mind, as if we are looking through Fellini’s eyes. I can experience and observe his memories as they are in his mind. These memories remain humorous, joyful, and serene forever through this film. No matter how old this film is, the viewer can always smile and share Fellini’s memories and experiences with him. Fellini’s town in 1930’s can always remain as it was; never age, never change. Film is truly amazing and powerful. As we view many different approaches and styles of film, I begin to truly appreciate it more.
Fellini’s approach to this movie is something I really enjoyed. Without one single plot or focus, we are left to embrace and remember with Fellini. I also enjoyed seeing Fellini’s personality and style spring out in this movie. After watching “8 ½”, I saw the reoccurring themes of gorgeous/curvy women, the conflict with the church, family, loud arguments, and romance. In addition, he does not prefer making straight-to-the-point stories or plots. Yet, he retains simplicity. Nothing is too difficult to comprehend and understand. We almost do not even need an explanation of the film. The only requirement is to sit down and enjoy. This is very interesting because often we await a resolution or climax in films. Not that he lacks this in this film, but rather, it is a sweet recollection of memories. It does not matter if parts of the movie are illogical or random, we just smile and laugh along.
My favorite scene was when one of the young boys was with the large Italian woman. They fool around and she whips out her voluptuous chest. I was shocked at how erotic, bizarre, and embracing it was. It was so emotional and spontaneous. The reason it was different from a more stereotypical love scene, was the huge difference in age (mature woman & adolescent boy). Not only this, but we see her reveal her large body to him as he struggles to know what do to. I felt so sucked into this scene because I felt happy for him. As an adolescent boy, I imagine that this memory will stick with him forever as something to laugh about when he’s older. The scene is crammed with excitement, sexuality, humor, emotion, and guilt. There are so many aspects that make you want to say, “that’s so wrong”, yet we can’t advert our attention. And afterwards, it makes you chuckle and find that it’s only an innocent memory of childhood. How would the Church react to this? Fellini likes to show things that the church would find offensive and as a sin. This reflects his own feelings toward the church.
The ending had very similar aspects to “8 ½”. Both had a large gathering of friends and family. This film had a wedding outside and “8 ½” had a gathering with a carnival and band. Just like “8 ½”, “Amarcord” had festive music; a blind musician plays the accordion.
“Amarcord” is a culmination of family, friends, religion, sexual feelings, close-knit society, rejoice, mourning, humor, joy, excitement, sporadic behavior, random events, and the list goes on. It is like life itself, unpredictable and imperfect. But, through memories, we can look back with a good laugh and a smile on our face. I have never felt more connected with a director than with “Amarcord” and Fellini.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment