The Birds!
I truly enjoyed this film. But, it preoccupied my mind for the whole night!
Throughout the film, the camera was often eye level. This created the effect that are witnessing and experiencing what the main characters are simultaneously. I felt like I was as curious and fearful as the characters were. A very funny part was when the lovebirds leaned left and right during the car ride. Haha~ But, at the same time, it’s very symbolic. Either the birds are intelligent or a love relationship representation. I also was very impressed at how when we look at these real seagulls and crows, we think they are evil and crazy. In reality, they are animal actors under training. Film is very manipulative.
His use of no music soundtrack and silence really created the sense of suspense and curiosity, in that we don’t get any clues or hints to what we should think or feel. And oooh, when Melanie goes upstairs to feed her curiosity over the noise, that was so suspenseful. And then she gets attacked!
My initial thought watching the movie was: Is this movie about love or birds? Ah, but the genius of this story and Hitchcock’s mind never clearly gives us the answers. I am so into this story and want to watch this film over and over, until I fully understand this film. I am so confused, but very hooked. I can’t get over this film, until I know exactly what Hitchcock was thinking.
Two scenes stick in my mind. The first scene is the scene where birds are flying and watching over the car explosions they created. What does this signify? Maybe birds know exactly what there doing, and know how powerful together they are. But, what do they want??? The second scene is the where the camera angle is shot from below and first shows the worried/protective mother and then shows Melanie and Mitch in horror and fear. It makes the scene so epic.
But seriously. I want, or rather insist, to know the full meaning of this movie and the ending. I concluded at first, that it was about birds in revolt against being caged and as items for sale. Thus, Melanie and Mitch’s family members get trapped inside their own house, like a cage. But, why did the birds allow them to escape at the end, with the caged love birds??? This made me research online. A proposed meaning to the story, is that the birds are a symbolic reflection of all the love and jealousy relationships. I will not get further into this, but it seems to correlate. So my final thought is: Is this a movie about birds or love/jealousy/mother-daughter relationships? Someone save me from this curiosity.
Psycho
One thing I found interesting, was the transition between the woman stealing money to the dual personality killer. It seems at first, we think the woman is psycho and gets much too nervous after stealing the money. But, afterwards we see that in fact, the main focus of the movie is the mysterious killings at Bates Motel.
Again, Hitchcock’s usage of silence is so powerful. The famous shower scene and when the victim’s sister is in the “mother’s” house. It makes your heart really beat fast and put full attention into what will happen next.
I have seen the actual house and motel at Universal Studios, Hollywood. And I realized that, it may not matter how many scenes and backgrounds one has, but how he/she can use it as a director. This brings me back to “Rear Window”. Very few scenes, the whole film was mostly the injured man’s room and the view from his window.
I think the reason “The Birds” and “Psycho” were/are so popular, is the story. They powerfully keep you on the edge of your seat because of the uknown, mystery, and good storytelling. These two stories do not end after the film ends, but remains in your mind and without a direct conclusion. For example, in “Psycho”, Norman Bates has his mother personality talking in his head and looks at us into the camera at the end. This does not give us closure to the film. I thought either two things: (1) WE, the viewers, may if fact also be part of our own (or his) multiple personalities, or (2) He wants to get US next…! Throughout the whole film, we never have eye contact with characters or feel as if we are part of the story unfolding, but Hitchcock purposely had Bates look into the camera, straight at as, for what reason? One thing that drives me crazy, is how he always leaves us hanging. We never get a happy, simple ending. It urges you to find some closure. Sometimes I just want to be happy and complete by watching “Casablanca”.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I also find the Birds baffling and seductive; I want to know how and why our avian friends have become so belligerent, and I also want to understand what Hitch is after.
Post a Comment